Apple’s voice assistant Siri significantly lags behind competitors in terms of answering questions accurately on its smart speaker, according to new data from Loup Ventures.
After running a comparison of voice assistant accuracy when accessed through their respective smart speakers — Siri on the HomePod, Alexa on the Echo smart speaker, Assistant on Google Home, and Cortana on the Invoke smart speaker — Loup Ventures found that Siri on HomePod lagged behind Google Assistant on Google Home in every instance, and behind other competitors in varying categories.
Researchers asked each voice assistant 782 different queries within five categories: local, commerce, navigation, information, and command. On average, Google’s voice assistant led in every single category. Overall, Google Assistant answered queries accurately 81% of the time, well above Alexa and Cortana, which answered 64% and 57% correctly, respectively. In comparison, Siri answered only 52% of queries accurately.
While Apple’s HomePod is the best-sounding smart speaker on the market, Siri’s poor accuracy could limit its usefulness. Among the frustrations cited in early reviews are HomePod Siri’s inability to set more than one timer at once, read off a recipe, or answer simple questions that Assistant and Alexa can field easily. The HomePod also doesn’t allow unique voice recognition, meaning all permissions are activated for anyone within screaming distance of the speaker. Both Google and Amazon enable voice profiles for their smart speakers, allowing for different permissions and an added layer of security for voice assistant tasks like reading personal text messages.
Google Assistant’s and Alexa’s abilities to outperform Siri on the HomePod will likely help the Google Home and Amazon Echo smart speakers lead the smart speaker market in the near term. According to Loup Venture analysts, the HomePod will account for 12% of the global smart speaker shipments market in 2018, while Google Home will hold a 32% share, and Echo smart speakers will command a 52% share. Apple’s share of the global smart speaker market will likely remain the same by 2022, leaving Google and Amazon to fight for the remaining share.
Jessica Smith, research analyst for BI Intelligence, Business Insider’s premium research service, has compiled a detailed report on the voice assistant landscape that:
- Identifies the major changes in technology and user behavior that have created the voice assistant market that exists today.
- Presents the major players in today’s market and discusses their major weaknesses and strengths.
- Explores the impact this nascent market poses to other key digital industries.
- Identifies the major hurdles that need to be overcome before intelligent voice assistants will see mass adoption.
Interested in getting the full report? Here are two ways to access it:
- Subscribe to an All-Access pass to BI Intelligence and gain immediate access to this report and over 100 other expertly researched reports. As an added bonus, you’ll also gain access to all future reports and daily newsletters to ensure you stay ahead of the curve and benefit personally and professionally. >> Learn More Now
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >> Purchase & Download Now